Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Biking the Golden Gate Bridge

We got brave and decided to rent bikes and bike across the Golden Gate Bridge. We had never rented a tandem bike so we thought we were extra brave. It is great couples therapy as good communication makes for a much more enjoyable ride.

I rode on the bike with former All-Camarillo Biker man in the front. He was a stud! Some of the hills I would have walked he refused and we kept right on peddling.
It was awesome on the bridge! A little windy but very cool. It is such a different experience riding on the bridge versus riding in a car. I highly recommend it! A slightly disturbing sight were the crisis counseling signs. A little fact I learned that since it was opened in the 1930's over 1,000 people have committed suicide on the bridge.
The ride back was mostly downhill so we made record time. I was a little nervous with no braking power and McKay's desire for speed but I survived. Besides having very sore rear ends from the bike seats (the padding was about as think as a sheet of toilet paper) it was well worth it! We just got reminded how much fun we had every time we sat down.
McKay trying to bring back pegged-legged pants. We definitely saw some interesting styles in San Fran.

4 comments:

Ditte said...

My brother Christian gets to see the bridge from his kitchen window every day! SO fun!

Kate said...

That is so great that you rented bikes. I have always wanted to rent some. I can totally see McKay not wanting to stop :) If pegged legs ever come back, I will be out of style, for sure! :)

MEB said...

Love it...the helmets, the bikes, the pegged pants and all.

Dave and Lorraine Barlow said...

FUN! Don't know that I will ever ride a bike across the bridge but glad that you did!